Protect yourselves from being infected by the Coronavirus or SARS-CoV-2 while using a shopping trolley.
The coronavirus is spreading aggressively all over the world – it is especially important now to get well organized to stop the virus from extending its reach any further. There is a very simple rule for this. The more you protect others from getting infected, the more protection you gain for yourself and your loved ones. If other people don’t get infected, no one can infect you. It’s as easy as that!
We are sure that there are a lot of good ideas are out there on how to stay safe and protected from the coronavirus. At Link Learning, we want to encourage you to share them. If you have any great ideas, please share them with us and others.
There is sometimes no choice but to expose yourself to the risk of infection in daily life: shopping at the supermarket, for example. There you expose yourself simply by walking around amongst a large group of people. Unfortunately, you sometimes have to go and shop in the supermarket to buy food otherwise you will not survive in the first place.
It is clear that people are doing everything they can to prevent the coronavirus spreading. For example, it is common nowadays to wear a protective mask and gloves while shopping. Masks are a good choice, as they can protect you from getting the coronavirus, as well as protecting other people if you are infected without knowing.
If you wear gloves, you may think that you are protecting yourself, but you will still touch the handle of the shopping trolley with gloved hands. While touching the handle, you can collect germs. If you feel an itch in your face, you reflexively touch it, and this is how infections spread. In addition to this, you have to touch your credit card or mobile phone to buy your food, which gives the virus another chance to spread. A tremendously large quantity of single-use gloves are being used because of this pandemic. This creates a lot of waste, but some of it can be spared.
There is a simple solution, you just have to think differently. Don‘t put the gloves on your hands, put a glove on the shopping trolley handle instead. By doing this, you protect yourself and others in the supermarket in the same way as by wearing a mask. Again, the more you protect others, the more you protect yourself and your loved ones.
This protective layer can be used over and over again with no cleaning required, because any virus molecules stay on the inside and will die by themselves.
Here are the instructions to make a “shopping trolley glove“
1. Get a standard piece of foam pipe insulation from your local hardware store.
2. A inner diameter of about 1 inch (2.5 cm) will fit the best, the outer diameter is not important.
3. Find the opening. If the pipe insulation is not open already, cut it open with a knife.
4. Adjust it to the right length. This depends on your local supermarket shopping trolleys. We use 4 inches (10 cm) for the short version and 18 inches (45 cm) for the long version.
5. Place the handle glove onto the shopping trolley. When you have finished shopping, take the glove with you and use it the next time you go.
6. To make it a bit easier to put the glove onto the shopping trolley handle, cut the sides of the opening of the glove at an angle. Put some duct tape onto the cut edges to protect them and to make it easier for the glove to slide on to the shopping trolley handle.